Day 2





Mi aun torre. Ti kauw Ebony

Buenas. I am called Ebony. And this is the second day of being in paradise and our first day of work.

The day started with fresh coffee and group meeting with Destry to discuss the plans for the day and learn some Gnabe words. I cherish the first hour of relaxation, fresh aromatic coffee and million dollar view. This place is medicine for my soul. We spent the first half of the day learning from Destry about the Gnabe community and the water crisis that is affecting the quality of life of the Gnabe people. Hearing her first hand experience was both inspiring and heartbreaking. Destry is a special human being. I admire her toughness, resilience, beautiful heart, passion for her work and the people, openess and patience with us students. 

    Then, lunch time came and passed quickly. Gloria y Gloria made a nutritious and delicious spread of sopa de pollo, avocado Fresca, y crispy plantains (my favorite part.) Those hands of theirs are gifts from the heavens. I am so thankful that they are nuturing us. Right after lunch, we got straight into it. It was hiking time. And I was no where near ready for the extensive, sweaty exercise of trekking up the mountain. I guess I didn't really know what to expect, very naive of me to think I was fit enough to think it would be a walk in the park. I sweat enough to fill my water bottle I think and I earned my collection mosquito battle badges. The hike ended just in time for the down pour showdown. The afternoon into nightfall the rain poured and thunder boomed. I think everyone was grateful for the cool, winds that accompanied it. Day 2 wore me out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One